Total Pageviews

Friday, March 23, 2012

Reader Question Answered: How I Shop

Hello My Curvy Divas,

One of my loyal readers ChiChi asked me to explain how I shop. I am in no way, shape form or fashion a professional shopper but I will just explain how I build my wardrobe and my thoughts when I am purchasing items.

Take Inventory


Before I buy anything new, I have learned to take inventory of what I already own to keep from buying duplicate items. You will be surprised at how many things you own if you reorganize your closet. Throw away the things you know you will never wear again, that way you can get the most use out of the pieces that you are fond of. Some people avoid buying the same items in different colors but if something fits me great (especially skirts or pants) I always buy it in every color that my budget allows because as a curvy girl it's harder to find things that fit properly so when we do we tend to get a little crazy.

Does It Look Good (On You)

When picking out items for your wardrobe not only must they look hot but they need to look hot ON YOU. Part of learning to pick out things that make you look and feel more confident is being brutally honest with yourself about the way things really look. Some curvy women get confidence and delusion confused. Me for instance, my problem area is my tummy so I try to pick out items that flatter that area in the best light. I stray away from fabrics that stick to my stomach and make me look and feel uncomfortable. I do wear form fitted clothing but the fabric is the biggest factor in whether I will rock a certain item or not. I have some major work to do on my legs so shorts is not something I feel comfortable rocking. There is no use in having a closet full of amazing items that look great but not on you. Find out what your body type is and learn how to dress your body to showcase the best parts and conceal our "opportunity areas".

Putting Together Outfits 

I hate hate hate shopping for entire outfits at one time. It is too stressful for me so I prefer to mix and match old and new things to come up with fresh new looks. When I am thinking of buying a new item I only buy it if I think it will be versatile and able to be re-styled. Once upon a time, I used to buy so many outfits and most were for club looks only and I had trouble styling casual looks. Now, I buy items that can go from day to night and able to be restyled. The only times I will buy non versatile items  now are for Birthdays or extremely upscale events. Another thing I don't do is shop straight off the mannequin. For the people who don't want to think too hard it's a great option but getting dressed everyday is a challenge for me to reinvent myself and continue to make my personal style evolve. I love putting together new prints and colors based on my Mood, that's why planning outfits never work out for me. You can get inspiration from polyvore, magazine, other bloggers whatever gets your creative juices flowing!!!! My biggest inspiration is my Mother. She is in her fifties and literally everyday she looks amazing!!!


Accessorize.
Lastly, great accessories can make or break an outfit. Be careful not to over-accessorize though because you can cheapen your look. If you have on a statement necklace wear no earrings or studs to let the necklace shine. If you have on huge earrings ( I ADORE gigantic earrings) keep any other accessorizing to a minimum. I have noticed that since I started wearing more colors and prints, I wear less of my gaudy jewelry. However, nothing spices up a basic look more than great noticeable accessories so build up your jewelry with statement pieces!


Until Next Time,
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

19 comments:

  1. great tips. I never thought to take inventory of what I already own. For me sometimes I have a problem with finding items that can go with what I already have because like you I hate shopping for a whole outfit at once.

    finding-the-beautiful-me.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I promise a lot of the things that I put together that look like they were bought as an outfit was random stuff I "found" hiding in my closet because I forgot all about it!! Yesss I get so stressed trying to find an outfit because I would change my mind a million times before I wore it! lolll

      Delete
  2. Great tips! Im in the process of purging right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I need to do another purge as well!

      Delete
  3. Great post! Especially the part about buying items that look great, but nor necessarily on you. I've definitely done that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh everything that I talk about I have done as well. Before I learned to be honest with myself I bought lots of things that looked hot but not ON ME. Now I dress the body I have...not the one I used to have or want to have.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for answering my question! These are great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome ChiChi!! Without you guys my blog would be nothing so I make sure I keep my readers happy and try to answer all of the questions to the best of my ability

      Delete
  5. Awesome post! most of my shopping is done splurging on accessories and shoes than actual clothes. i always find myself buying clothes when i have a party or something to go to and i ALWAYS get frustrated because i spend so much time trying to buy an "outfit". So thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are soooooo welcome!!! I love accessories and shoes more than I love clothes shopping!!! Accessories can definitely take a look from fab to drab so keep investing in accessories and shoes and don't shy away from crazy prints and colors!!

      Delete
  6. Great Tips Ms. Styles! Check me out and see what a MAN thinks about what a Woman wears;-) - JT

    http://johnturnerworld.blogspot.com/2012/03/wonder-if-he-will-like-this-mans-take.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a good post and great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Awesome post! Guess it's time for me to start spring cleaning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Post, had some interesting tip :)
    Kiwi ..x

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really great tips! Great post :-)

    Roni

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments!! I try to answer them all b/c I appreciate my loyal readers!